Thursday, September 3, 2009

What I've Been Reading this Week

Wow, I read quite a bit this week.

Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsThe most important, of course, being Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins.
I'm not going to say too much about as we are planning a sequels episodes for October, but I will say I liked it. I was not disappointed, although I did want more of Gale. And I wouldn't mind getting to see some of the other female characters take leading roles in the events. I had trouble even thinking of a female character other than Katniss earlier when trying to think of people Peeta could get with. Because, as I'm sure you agree, he and Katniss do not belong together. And I cannot wait for the third book. It is physically painful that I have to wait a year.

Also, I read The Princess Academy by Shannon Hale for the podcast.
I liked the main character and the originality of the story. Some characters, like Tutor Olana, felt predictable but I was mostly pleased with it. I really enjoyed the slow and steady self-discovery the main character went through. It was a good reflection of the setting and fit very well into the story. It wasn't my usual fair and had we not been podcasting on it, I probably never would have read it. More on this in episode 4 of the podcast, which will be out this weekend.


The Two Travellers by Mark JeffreyI re-listened to the last two chapters of The Two Travellers by Mark Jeffrey.
I actually find myself listening to these two chapters more than any other. They are definitely my favourite. I enjoy learning Max's secret and learning more about Enki from Ninti. And the image of the crows pulsing in the archway before exploding outwards is so wonderfully crafted.
Also, a horrible thought occurred to me. Well, a bittersweet one. I'm very happy for the author to have gotten a publishing deal for the first book. Very, very happy. BUT what does this mean for the third? Will we have to wait four or five years?
The very thought makes my fingers freeze on the keyboard. Five years of not knowing? I'm not thinking about this anymore.

And finally, I started reading The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan.I'm on page seventy-five and I like it so far. I like the characters and the mystery she's building. And the story feels original. I'm looking forward to reading the rest. Unfortunately I fell pray to my own weakness and peeked at the end. And if one of the characters is going the way I think he is, well, I'm not sure if I like that. But I do like that it is now making me examine every little thing he does. And helps in convincing me that I need to work on that little problem of mine.




My goals for next week are to finish the Demon's Lexicon and start The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan. Let's hope it happens!

0 comments:

Post a Comment