Friday, September 11, 2009

What I've Been Reading this Week

Did I meet my goals from last week?

Well, I met one of them.

The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan was finished. And I have mixed feelings on it. I enjoyed the plot quite a bit. It was original and gripping, and I never knew how much some of the characters were hiding.
But I did find it hard to really get into any of the characters. One of them I outright despised, because of how much he kept hidden and all the lies he kept telling. I will read the rest of the series as it comes out but I do hope the characters become more likable.

I also started the Gregor the Overlander series by Suzanne Collins. I finished the first book and am about halfway done the second.

Gregor the Overlander was fast paced with enjoyable characters and really good dialogue. It was definitely aimed at a younger audience then The Hunger Games and Catching Fire but still had a similar feel to both. Collins is very good at paying attention to little details in a way that adds to the story.

Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane is just as fast paced and intricate but now that we know all the main players in the story we're getting more character development and interaction. Which I love. In both books, in a similar fashion to The Hunger Games, Collins manages to tell highly entertaining stories that say something about society and humanity without sound at all preachy or like she set out to teach you something.

This week I will finish the Gregor series, they're easy reads, and I WILL start The Forest of Hands and Teeth...or possibly Devilish by Maureen Johnson.

1 comments:

Shannon said...

I agree with you on the Demon's Lexicon. Compared to other stuff I've read by her, the characters were not all that relatable--and while I think that was partially intentional, it also made this first book less memorable. However, that being said, I'm very very intrigued to see the characters development in the next book. :)

Post a Comment