Monday, December 14, 2009

Romance Stories

A little while ago, we got an email asking for book recommendations, and then because we were all so busy (and I think I'm the only one who checks our email) it was left unanswered.

But no longer! This post is here to rectify that, so without further ado, the question:


So, I wanna ask you some advise. I'm "new" to the reading world in a way, I didn't use to like reading but now I spend every second I have free reading, it's like a passion! I'm relatively young..... lol well I'm 18! So I was wondering if there was some book you could recommend.... I'm not really into action stories, but that's because I never really tried reading one, I prefer romance stories, things like that....


Personally, because of the type of books I like to read, I have trouble coming up with good romance stories that don't have any action.



The Mortal Instruments - has action
Graceling/Fire - has action
The Hunger Games - has action
The Forrest of Hands and Teeth - has action
Rampant - has action


After thinking on this a bit and not being able to come up with a single book of romance that didn't have action (although, I expect this is a purple elephant type of thing, as the post below this one talks about an author whom I love, who is fantastic at non-actiony romance...although my favourite by her has action...) I began to get very...excited.

It's a bit of a stereotype, isn't it? That girls like to read romance and boys like to read action.

Or, more generally, females like to read about relationship dramas and males like to read about adventure.

I really like that, at least in the YA genre, these stereotypes are being ignored. I want more like this. I want more awesome action mixed with well written romance and well rounded characters.

I don't really have a point with this, I didn't even mean to dwell on it, I just enjoy that it is a trend and I want more of it.

Back to the original purpose of this post, recommendations.

Other than anything by Maureen Johnson, I'm pretty much coming up blank for romance without action. The above books are all fantastic and I do suggest you check them out.

Beautiful Creatures is also very good and has...less action than some of the books from above.

Anyone else have any recommendations?

2 comments:

KrzyRiver said...

I recently became addicted to romance novels. I'm a HUGE fan of Susan Wiggs and Jennifer Cruise. Some of their books have a bit of action here and there, but not much. And my friend is sitting next to me as I type. She says Julia Quinn is a goddess. LOL.

Meredith said...

I love Eva Ibbotson. Her stories are historical, all set between 1912 and WWII, and take place in Europe. I've read four of them and have her fifth novel waiting for me as soon as I finish what I'm reading right now! My favorite is probably 'A Company of Swans' but they are all really good! Check them out.

Post a Comment